Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Preschool Christmas

Yesterday we hit a milestone in our family. Our first school performance! Parker's class had their Christmas program yesterday and it made us swell with pride to watch him happily sing Christmas songs and do cute finger plays. He really did a fantastic job, and if I was savvy with posting video, we would have his talents on display. While all ended up picture perfect, it sure didn't start out that way!

I somehow missed the memo (or maybe this is something subconsciously known to all mothers except myself), that all little kids dress up in their Sunday best for Christmas programs. I sent Parker off in his cute Christmas fireman shirt from Grandma, jeans, and sneakers. When we arrived at school I was mortified at the sight of frilly dresses, done-up ties and shiny black shoes! Not only that, but all moms were dressed to the nines themselves, as if they were attending the symphony. Eeek! Luckily, the performance was not until later into the day, so I had time to redeem myself and bring him clothes to change into beforehand. I was the classic crazy mom, dragging in the change of clothes, video camera, regular camera, baby brother and teacher Christmas gifts while trying not to break a sweat. I think I failed at that one, but we were so happy with the outcome and celebrated by getting Parker a Honey Dip sprinkle donut for his great performance!

9 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

I am about ready to pee myself... because, well I have SOOOOO been THAT mom! Thanks for sharing, Michelle!

Anne Marie said...

I love those Christmas programs. Parker looks so cute. I am so sorry that it was so crazy trying to get yourself there. Glad you made it! I love the Sarah McLaghlan playing. One of my Christmas faves!

Mom B. said...

So cute! They are so sweet and innocent at this age, so willing and excited to perform for their parents! It always brought a tear to my eye to see all of you in your programs, I guess I'm just a big softy. I love little kids and all the cute things they do!!! See you Tuesday!

christine said...

I think Parker looks great in his engine shirt!

Megan said...

What are you talking about??? Most of the other boys are in sweaters too, and that one on Parker's left is wearing sneakers. I only see one boy in a tie, and he is probably the nerd of the group! HA HA! Parker looks adorable! Bring the video to Mom and Dad's, I wanna see it!

Evelyn said...

That is too funny, Michelle, because I went through that exact same thing yesterday. Joe had his Christmas program and I sent him in jeans and a white polo...and all the other kids were Sunday best. Luckily he was a Wise Man and got to wear a costume over his clothes!!

Sariah said...

VERY CUTE! I wanna see the video! It's really easy. Email me and I'll help you. Or have one of your sisters help you once you get back home for Christmas! I love how happy Parker's pictures always are. They always make me smile!

Rachel said...

Oh yeah, bytheway, for Christmas programs you and your kid need to dress up...I have had that same experience and appreciate the gentle reminder for Fletcher's program next week! Nice save!

Rachel said...

And I always cry at these things!