Friday, September 21, 2007

You Must Whip It

I have been hesitating to write this post, for many reasons, but since it has occupied the whole of our week, I'll post it anyway....

Some of you know that I've been experiencing joint pain for the last six months. It's gotten steadily worse and I just attributed it to my thyroid disorder, waiting until we moved here to get it figured out. Well, it turns out that it has nothing to do with my thyroid. Instead, it is suspected that I have rheumatoid arthritis. Uh, yeah. You're thinking what I thought - Arthritis? At 31? Well, it's a long and complicated explanation. Basically, it's a chronic, autoimmune disease (like my thyroid disease), 1% of Americans have it and it typically shows up between age 30 and 50. It is charactarized by traveling, often severe joint and muscle pain, especially in the morning. As it progresses, you can end up with joint deterioration and even disability. Treatment for said disease is costly, time consuming and can cause depression. It goes without saying that participating in any activities that can be dubbed as "high impact" is pretty much out of the question. Nice! Just what I wanted to hear!

I took a few days to mourn over the whole issue, and then I got to thinking. Everyone has SOMETHING. Everyone has or has had something happen in their life story that is not what they expected. I thought of many of my friends and family members who are experiencing trials, in particular health issues, equal to or greater than mine. Although so much of it is tragic, remembering those people gave me great comfort to know that I am not alone. It hit me that this is just life - dealing you the unexpected and making you figure out a way, as my sister so sweetly reminded me, to WHIP IT!

16 comments:

Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said...

I am so sorry. Even though other people are dealing with tough stuff, it doesn't make what you have to deal with less rough. I guess though, that it gives you others around you to sympathise with and receive comfort from...or at least that is proving to be my experience with my own trial. We love you and are hoping/praying for the best news possible regarding all this.

Camie said...

oh Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I'm sure it is very unexpected for you. Wow--my heart is heavy for you. It's like Oprah always says, "it's a new normal". It will definitely be a long process of getting used to this new normal. Luckily you have a fighting spirit and a lot of loving support from family and friends (especially the ones living just one state over). We love you and we'll add you to our prayers!

Mom B. said...

Since talking to you earlier this week, I have been asking around about the condition. Lots of people are dealing with it, and doing quite well. I was glad to hear that and I know that whatever challenges you have to overcome, Michelle, you will make the best of it because you are a "solution finder." You never have just given up and taken your challenges lying down! I really believe that there are new treatments being developed all the time, and I know that you will be sure to find out about them! I love you are am so proud of the wonderful woman you have become!

andrewsrock said...

Crud. that's not fun. I'm glad you posted and let us know, I will for sure say some extra prayers for you. And like you said, you're not alone, everyone has something wrong or challenging in their lives. That's why we all need eachother! on a side note, Michelle had her baby girl last week. They named her Olivia Judy. Everyone is doing well.

Deb said...

Hey Michelle I don't know what to write except that sucks. I like what everyone else wrote it's all true.

christine said...

If anyone can tackle this you can.

Anne Marie said...

Sending you a big Texan hug! I am so sorry. Sounds extremely lame. You definitely have the mental and spiritual strength to "whip it". Love that song and the movie it reminds me of. I am thinking of you, friend.

Sarah Beck said...

Michelle that stinks!!! I'm sorry, even though everyone goes through stinky things doesn't mean that makes it any better. I guess it just makes us feel a little less alone, and that we're all on this terrestrial experience together experiencing terrestrial things (which hopefully helps make us a little more celestial).

My Many Coloured Days said...

I am glad you decided to blog about it. We are all here for you! It's always strange to find out how many rare and unusual health syndromes and diseases there are out there! Life is definately meant to be lived amidst all that it hands us... I have no doubt you will live it well. Hugs!

Sariah said...

This is sad to hear about, although I'm glad that you shared. From what I read, it looks like you have a lot of information out their for help! And it anyone can "whip it", that would be you!! If anything, I suppose you might just be happy to a least "know" what your dealing with now...easier to "whip", right?!? Love ya!

Megan said...

You're a stud! I can't imagine how difficult it was to find out about this, but you are handling this so well! Thanks for being so strong and such a great example to me! I have such an amazing big sister! I love you.....WEEEEEEEE!

sherrie said...

sorry to hear about your arthritis. it is true, all of us have our own things to deal with but it is just life and what we were suppose to deal with. hope things improve for you. keep us updated.

Michelle said...

thanks, everyone, for your vote of confidence! i'm so lucky to have such a great support system of friends & family.

Rachel said...

Wow, I am sorry. I do appreciate your outlook on the whole thing. So true...trials are a part of life and would we really want Jane Doe's? I don't know...

Heidi said...

Michelle, my heart goes out to you. I am still in shock, as I'm sure you have been at some point. As the others have said, you always find ways to make the best of any situation. All of us will have our trials and like the old adage goes, we'd probably choose ours over anyone else's if we had a choice. I'm here for you when you need me. You're awesome, don't forget that! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I haven't looked at your blog in a while. I can't believe what I'm hearing but you sound positive and that's what is going to carry you through this. And I have to agree with Sariah...it's definitely easier to whip it when you know what you are dealing with...and you are strong one! I love you girl!