Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Yellow, Not So Mellow

I attended my first Enrichment meeting here last night. It was a darling activity - themed around everyone's "Purse-onalities." More on how the purse ties in later. So, before the activity we were each to have filled out the Hartman Personality test or the "color code" test. I had taken it before a few years ago, and to my NOT surprise, I came out as a yellow, as I had been diagnosed previously. I had tied for blue & white not far behind. Here is what Hartman has to say about yellows: "These are the fun lovers. Fun, or the joy of doing something just for the sake of doing it, is what motivates and drives these people. They bring great gifts of enthusiasm and optimism and are generally charismatic, spontaneous, and sociable." Not included in his description, but part of the evaluation is that we are generally late, lazy, flighty, uncommitted, and that work is a necessary evil. I really cannot argue with this assessment of my personality!

What DID come as a surprise to me, however, was what happened upon my arrival at the meeting. I arrived ten minutes late (characteristically yellow), and walked in to find that the Enrichment committee had everyone seated at round tables, according to their color. I glanced around and saw a table full of reds, a table full of whites, two tables full of blues, but NO ONE sitting at the yellow table!! I was astonished at the lack of fun people! I had even guessed a couple of people I have already met to be fellow yellows, but no! So over I go, to sit alone and be fun, all by myself. Luckily, two blessed girls who must have noticed my lonely state decided to come join me, claiming that they had tied yellow with another color. It turned out to be a very fun evening, with lots of games surrounding our purses and I had a great time chatting with my two tablemates.

Upon reflection, I am wondering....am I immature? Have I not "grown up" yet? Does Cyndi Lauper not speak the truth when she professes that all "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun?" Have all of these ladies learned to leave behind notions of sheer frivolity and to love to work, whereas I have stayed behind somewhere in the adolescent mindset of "Party on, Wayne?" My answer to myself is a resounding YES!! I have and will always love fun! Although I would love to love work, I don't! And never have! It is definitely a necessary evil. Why, at this moment I'm blogging to avoid last night's dishes! Now don't get me wrong, I do have the occasional guilt over my work ethic...but in the words of Mr. Bennet in Pride & Prejudice: "I am not afraid of being overpowered by the impression. It will pass away soon enough.''

Now I am curious...what color are YOU? The test only takes a couple of minutes on the website...inquiring, yellow mind wants to know....

23 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, Michelle. I wish I would have written this. I think you and I have more in common than I ever knew. I will go take the test and report back.

Sounds like a fun activity. I might steal it.

Emily said...

Sure enough! I'm a fellow yellow!

Anne Marie said...

I haven't taken this test in years. I came up as a blue. Wish you lived closeby so you could balance me out with your funloving, yellow personality. Love the new look on your blog by the way. It was fun to take the test again.

Lori said...

Michelle - we need fun-loving people like yourself...no worries! I took this and thought it was really hard to choose answers. I ended up as a blue.

Mollie said...

Against all my thoughts and feelings, I too am a yellow...but as I look around the house, it is all starting to make sense...I better go get some work done and stop playing! Love you!

mateo said...

Okay, I think I need a little more Mountain Dew to turn me yellow (and keep me awake for my homework). I would love to love having fun, but I turned out blue. There's still hope, though...I'm pretty sure I married a yellow!

Kelly said...

well, they asked you to answer as you would've have when you were a child. I was *blush* red...solidly red...

Joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joy said...

I too am a "yellow" and as I read the description I have to agree. Don't feel bad Michelle!!! There are more of us out there then you think! I actually like to think of myself as a rainbow of color...most of the time yellow but I like to think I can be other colors too!

lisa h. said...

party on garth!

hehe, i'm sure you weren't the only yellow! i was blue.

oh my dear! have you have the extras on the LOST dvd's - i have to tell you about the drive shaft song! so funny!

Rachel said...

Sucks to be in your ward!!! haha! Yellow is where it's at! You should NEVER stop having fun! It's a gift to your family! Keep it real, my YELLOW friend!

Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said...

Yup, I'm a yellow...although after reading all the descriptions, I think I've changed a little bit, and have a bit more white there now...so I guess I'm a cream! Yay yellows! I wonder if there's any tie-in with the yellow personality and blogging?

Emily said...

Rachel's right. Your ward sounds booooooring. Just kidding. But I bet there are lots of yellows from the glory days of the Lawrence 2nd Ward. How I miss it.

Alyson M. said...

True blue and depressed about it ; ). What a fun test. I need to lighten up. As far as hanging out as a lone yellow at enrichment, maybe the yellows were off partying? Who knew?


--am

emily said...

Okay, I totally love that I heard "Girls Just wanta Have Fun!" when I got on! Ellie automatically started dancing! this song is my ultimate favorite, no matter how weird Cindy is, she definatly knows it!! I'm going to make Ben take the test with me tonight! I'll let you know! Is there a majenta color?

Megan said...

Ok, I have tried to take the test a few times now, but keep getting interrupted to feed Kate--and she is whining right now, so I have to write this quick! Last time I took it (few years ago), I tied between White and Blue. As far as not growing up goes though, I am right there with you! I got a chance to watch High School Musical 2 and loved it! HA HA!! Also, because of my crack of dawn feedings, I have gotten re-addicted to my favorite high school drama...Dawson's Creek! I TIVO just in case Kate wakes up before or after it is on, I don't want to miss it!

Katie said...

Ok, Michelle, I took the test for you. I'm white. These tests drive me crazy because I have such a hard time figuring out which one to choose. I think they create inner conflict...and whites don't like conflict!! I liked though, that it said whites have a core similarity but have different personalities--cuz by golly, I like to have fun too. Hey Michelle, should you tell your friends (except alyson) to be nice cuz your new ward has your blog address? :) heh heh

Sariah said...

Surprise, surprise! You are so a yellow! That's why we love you so much and there is always a party going on when Michelle is around! We need more people like you. Seriously, you're a fun person. Of course, I'm a blue. It rang pretty true in most of what it said. I'm probably still a blue today.
So, how did the "purse" play into the night? Curious b.c I'm the Enrichment counselor in our RS and I'm always looking for "fun" idea from yellows for our activities. Please let me know how it all tied together!

Sariah said...

P.S....LOVE the new look to your blog! Wanna fix mine up? It is sooo lame looking!!

Sarah Beck said...

That was fun! I'm a blue!

Mom B. said...

I'm going to let you guess what I am? Anyone?

Michelle said...

okay, mom...i just looked at megan's and since you guys are twin personalities, i'm going to guess blue!

Mom B. said...

You're right! Are we really that much alike?