Friday, June 05, 2009

The Garden

We heart our vegetable garden. Before this year, I was a gardening virgin. And now I feel like a first-time parent, calling all of my gardening friends and researching on the internet over every little thing! It's so fun to visit it together every morning and evening and see the little changes that are inevitably taking place each day - sometimes each hour! We started in early May and here is how it has progressed...



These are shots of the initial setup - boxes, then newspaper cover, then dirt! The boys loved helping haul the soil in their little wheelbarrows!



I regret not having taken pictures of our initial plantings (my fingers were a little dirty!), but here is what it looked like about 3 weeks afterward.

And the following pictures were taken last week...








Our lovely lettuce!



The Pepper Patch - red, yellow & green



From left to right - watermelon, celery, blackberries, raspberries, my herbs and our mammoth zucchini & yellow squash (I promise they have doubled their size since last week!)


Our five different kinds of tomatoes - brandywine, roma, grape, yellow pear & early girl. I've got parsley in there somewhere...hiding...

Our wee, baby beets...we've got carrots near them, but I forgot to get a shot of those.

green onion & globe onion...





Our strawberry patch...looking a little sad this year, but hopefully we'll get more next year...


Bush beans, sugar snap peas, cantaloupe & cucumbers! We've also planted a sunflower/daisy garden along the fence, and can't wait to see them bloom.

16 comments:

Anita said...

I love the garden!! My mouth is watering thinking all the yummy things you'll think up come harvest time.
We miss you guys!

Deb said...

I know who to call when we start a garden. Yours looks so nice and organized. Wish we could come sample the goods.

Mollie said...

i need some advice....could you come help me with my garden? ....no, seriously. :)

Mom B. said...

What a beautiful garden! You guys really know what you are doing. Have fun with all the healthy produce you will get to eat! Sure wish we were closer and we could help you eat some of it!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh! YOu should be so proud of yourselves! How cool. You do know that strawberries won't even bear fruit until next year, right? So give 'em time. Love the garden!

Anne Marie said...

So impressed. I've never done a garden:( Looks beautiful. Fresh peppers sound wonderful.

Camie said...

My jaw is dropping to the floor--I'm SO IMPRESSED! All your things look so happy to be growing away in your garden! Good for you, and enjoy all the fresh veggies and fruits! Next step--canning all the extra harvest!! Good luck!

Amanda said...

Wow, that looks awesome!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Oh My! Totally puts my four little veggies to shame. :)

The Lassen Family said...

WOW, that is HUGE!!! FAb job!! Oh to be in Washington!! Ours is still struggling quite a bit, for the 2nd year in a row--what are we doing wrong? erg---I am jealous of your vegetables, but especially the berries---yum!

Heidi said...

"Thou shalt not covet...thou shalt not covet...thou shalt not covet..." I'll just be repeating this all day...make that all summer....

Megan said...

Man, you guys have a whole produce section in your backyard! No need to go to the grocery store now! You did an awesome job, come to my house (when I get one) and make me a garden! Is Peter going to pick a patch of those peppers and pickle them?

Katrina said...

What a wonderful garden! You go, Girl (and boys!). Oh how I wish the rabbits would eat the things I try to plant here. Hey, we're moving next year, hopefully there won't be rabbits or chiggers at our next home! (chiggers are here now. sigh!)
Your grass also looks SO green. Great photos and post, Michelle!

Jessica said...

Um...wow. I am now officially coveting your garden. It puts mine to shame!! Way to go you first timers. And props to Peter for wearing that weight belt.

Lori said...

I'm a little late reading this - but way to go! It's a lot of work, it's a lot of work (worth repeating) - but the rewards are great. Good luck!