Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Making Memorial Day Memorable - The Tale of F10

On Memorial Day this year, we experienced a loss that, by our reaction to it, might've led an observer to believe it was a death in the family. I nearly hyperventilated, Peter said a swear word for the first time I've ever heard him do it, and both boys were screaming with tears at the news that...

Our computer crashed.

Apparently, "F10" is not a friendly button. We were having a wonderful day off, getting ready to head out to some friends for a BBQ and swimming. I wanted to check my email, and when I got to my profile, it flashed me to a screen that I normally see at startup. Nothing was happening, but I DID see instructions along the bottom. I pushed the dreaded "F10", believing that the term "system recovery" would bring me back to my profile desktop instead of a blue screen that seemed to take me further away from it. Little did I know, that F10 would take me farther away than I ever dreamed from my beloved desktop...

Luckily, Peter has been able to recover many of the files I wiped out with my hasty move. Our main concern was our pictures, and all of those are still there. Now we are facing reconfiguration, reinstallation, blah blah blah of many of our programs and filing systems. I suppose it was a good lesson to learn about not procrastinating the day of your computer backup, and we were spared the worst. We will always remember Memorial Day as the day we nearly lost all of our memories...our PC, our friend.

10 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

Ughhh!!! So I'm running a backup as soon as I comment here! Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Oh my friend....I too will be backing up my photos pronto! Thank you for sharing your pain with all of us so that we too could benefit from your lessons learned. Glad it wasn't worse.

Lori said...

I feel your pain. I walked in my computer room one day, saw a black screen (the computer had been on previously) and smelled smoke...not a good sign. We were able to recover most pics but I lost a ton of documents...those things take so much time to create!

Anne Marie said...

Good reminder to me! I don't want to lose a bunch of important stuff. Sounds like a real pain.

Sariah said...

We've had one of these days and it was certainly not fun. Once that happened we not only backed up on disk but also bought storage on a web storge site (holds more and in one spot). Can't be too careful when I have kids that like to use the computer and explore different keys.
Interesting how computers can turn our lives upside down and family histories lost with a touch of a button. It pays to have a great back up!
I'm relived that you have been able to recover the important documents and didn't lose any photos!! Close call!

Mom B. said...

Dad about coughed up a lung when I told him this story! I'm glad that you were able to recover most everything. Maybe it was a blessing, because the virus you had may have done more damage in the future.

Rachel said...

I feel the pain! Oh how my life would be altered dramatically if such a thing were to happen to me. That's pretty funny about Peter and the 'swear' word. Fiddlesticks, right? :)

Heidi said...

What a sad day! This is one of my worst nightmares! Ahh...I better get prepared...right now!!!!

sherrie said...

get a mac next time. hahahaha just kidding. sorry to hear about your memorial day f10 tale. backups are always a good thing.

Katie said...

You are hilarious!! Sigh. Sorry about the Royal Memorial Day Hassle. I am laughing, though, at the swearing incident.