Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Yep, he's still got it

Oh, he's got it. It was a crowning moment in my life to hear the best blues I will EVER hear, played by the most talented guitarist alive, live. I have been a Clapton fan ever since my high school prom and "Wonderful Tonight," but my love for him has only increased as I've discovered the rest of his grandiose collection of music, in particular his blues stuff.

The concert itself was a little bit funny; our seats were in the second row from the very tippy tippy top of Kemper Arena, which created a little bit of vertigo for the first ten minutes or so, but I quickly got over it. Bobby Cray opened for him and he was fantastic. Stage break - enter Clapton. Unlike other concerts I've been to (my first being New Kids on the Block - woohoo!) this guy really has no stage presence, is not out there to chit chat with you or wow you with his pyrotechnics. Nope - he is here to play. And play he did. My favorite, of course, was his acoustic set, which sadly only lasted four songs. But both Peter and I really enjoyed listening to him jam with his amazing band. After five full minutes of thunderous applause and screaming for an encore, I mentioned to Peter, "Wow! He really makes you beg for it!" Those of you who know my husband's corny humor will appreciate his response: "Well, he is Clapton. He makes you CLAP - a TON." ha ha ha ha.
I must add that I've never been a part of a more chill audience. It made me feel old, and that actually made me feel good about myself. And for those who haven't been to a concert lately, almost extinct are the days of waving lighters to the ballads - in its place we find the days of waving your cell phone or digital camera, flashing your backlight. So funny! It was a night of fabulous entertainment, and one I will never forget.
For your listening pleasure, I've added some of my favorites to play on the blog for a while. Enjoy!

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Is that Mr. MORE THAN WORDS???

sherrie said...

wow he looks so old! yeah clapton is classic. how fun that you got to go.

Anne Marie said...

We've got to hear more! This must have been so fun. I'd love to hear what your favorite songs are.

Joy said...

Didn't even recongnize him...he is getting up there in years eh?

Anonymous said...

Michelle--only you would figure out how to get music playing with your blog. Very impressive and enjoyable--I'm leaving my screen here for a while!

Anne Marie said...

Love the music! Thanks for filling us in on your fun night. What a great memory!

christine said...

I think its cool you got to see him in concert. What a fun night out.

Sariah said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I'm glad that you were able to get out without the kids and enjoy yourself!

mateo said...

That's sweet that you got to hear some REAL blues. I really liked hearing blues when I went to Memphis. I've never been able to figure out why blues guitarist always look like they're taking a really intense dump.

Deb said...

I heard you had a really awesome babysitter that night ;o). I am glad you had a good night out!

Anonymous said...

Very coool! Love all those songs!