Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What a crock!

I've fallen in love all over again...with my crock pot. Don't let summer weather fool you into thinking it's not time to be using your crock pot - oh no, 'tis the season. What I love about it is that I don't end up slaving over a hot stove or oven at 5:00, when the heat of the day has saturated my house. Plus, it gives you more freedom to be outside working on your tan instead of cooking. Here are a few recipes that I've tried this last week. They were so easy & tasty that I felt compelled to share...

Tomato Chicken Fettuccini

3 chicken breasts (I used frozen, & it worked fine)
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 t. oregano
1 t. basil
2 cloves minced garlic
*Peter & I decided that you could probably add artichoke hearts, sliced mushrooms, or whatever else sounds good.*
Put all above ingredients in a crock pot on low for 8 - 10 hours.

Combine in separate bowl:
1 pint whipping cream
3 eggs
1-2 c. parmesan cheese
Pour in crock pot for last hour of cooking.

Serve over Fettuccini.

Chimichangas

2&1/2 lbs. roast (chuck beef or pork; i used beef)
1 t garlic salt
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1 c beef stock
2 T shortening
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 of a 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
8 oz. bottle green salsa
2 T flour
1/2 t ground cumin
Tortillas
any toppings you want

Place roast in slow cooker; sprinkle garlic salt, pepper, & salt over the roast. Pour beef stock over roast, cover & cook on high 5-6 hours. Remove meat, cool, shred, and reserve juices.Melt shortening in large pan. Add onions and chilies. Sauté one minute. Add salsa, flour, and cumin. Cook one minute over medium-low heat. Stir in reserved meat juices and shredded meat. Cook five minutes until thick. Cool slightly. Put meat mixture in tortillas & roll 'em up. You can fry them in oil or just grill them in a pan w/Pam. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc. Feeds 8-10. You can freeze any leftover mixture up to six months.


Tasty Pork Tenderloin

1&1/2 lb. pork tenderloin
1 16 oz. can jellied or whole berry cranberry sauce
1 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
2 T. brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 c. cooked rice

Place tenderloin in slow cooker. Mix both sauces, brown sugar & garlic together and pour over. Cook on high 4-5 hours, and then on low for 3-4 more hours. Serve over rice.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

6 comments:

Deb said...

I am going to have to try these recipes they sound great! Did you put the chicken in the crockpot frozen or did you dethaw it first?

My Many Coloured Days said...

YES!!! Just what I need for my stove-less summe kitchen! Also wondering about the frozen chicken?

Jon and Sarah said...

The recipes sound delicious! I want to try the chimechangas and I have a pork tenderloin in the freezer I need to use. Yummy!!

Michelle said...

Yes! I used frozen & it worked out great. In fact, I am usually not a fan of chicken in the crock pot because it seems to get too dry, but this chicken was so juicy & yummy!

Katie said...

Oooh, thanks!!

Kelli France said...

Thanks for the recipes. Crockpots are so nice in the summer cuz they don't heat up the whole room like the oven. Can't wait to try these out.