Monday, April 20, 2009

Gunny Sack Monster

If your kids are anything like mine, getting them to pick up their toys is like pulling teeth - from all of our mouths. It takes FOREVER for them to clean up their playroom, with a million bathroom & drink breaks in between. Last week, I decided it was finally time to implement an idea that worked for my mother-in-law - the Gunny Sack Monster.

As you see, the Gunny Sack Monster hangs on the wall of the playroom to remind the boys throughout their playtime to put things away as soon as they are through. We're hoping to thus eliminate the toybox explosion we find at the end of the day. When the end of the day does come, the boys have a timer set for them to pick up the toys in their playroom, and put them away NEATLY. (Parker has just entered the stage of stuffing things in closets and under beds an proudly announcing "All clean, Mom!" Right.) So, after the timer has ended, the Gunny Sack Monster makes his appearance. Anything that is not put away neatly is eaten by the Gunny Sack Monster and not regurgitated for one week. I hope my string of jute can withstand the weight of his consumption!

16 comments:

Emily said...

That's a great idea! Maybe I'll try it in a couple years, too.

CJ said...

Hahaha good idea!!!

Btw, I bet that would work on messy hubbys too. I know mine sure jumped and picked stuff up in a hurry several years ago when I walked around the house with a trash bag on a rampage throwing anything and everything away that was out of place. :)

Lori said...

Love it! I may have to do that too.

Kim said...

I've heard of that, but have never seen such an impressive-looking Gunny with a face. I've seen it done with a trash bag. I think that will be more effective. Nice!!

Megan said...

that's the coolest idea! I love how creative you got with it. I'll for sure have to keep this in my memory for the future!

Rischel said...

Um, will you make me one.....seriously.... I will draw you a picture....for trade...:)

Craw papa said...

Cute idea! I may have to implement that one too!

lisa h. said...

when i saw the pic i knew exactly what that was!!! I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BEFORE!! WOW, AWESOME! mmm, i wonder if my mother in law could make one for me....otherwise yeah, i'd love to put in an order w/ you! you'll have to update us on how it works!

lisa h. said...

is it just a pillowcase??

Heidi said...

You have the greatest ideas, Michelle. And the coolest part is that you actually IMPLEMENT them.

Katrina said...

Learn (but don't implement) this fun game when Scott was three and I did Joy School for a year. GREAT idea. I'm not sure they make a sack big enough for one that we'd need! ;) Joy School did suggest using a pillow case and I can't remember what they called him.

Katie said...

That is the cutest thing. My sister had a friend who did this with a plain box. I love the moster-reminder there all day. The all seeing eye? :) I may have to copy this too. Gunny monsters will be taking over the world!! I think Daniel will want make one for our room!

sherrie said...

great idea, hope it works!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Yours is sooooo cute! Ours is just an old laundry bag that hides in my closet and comes out when it's hungry! LOVE it. Do you have the Joy School songs that Gunny bag sings? We had one kid in our joy school who had gunny bag nightmares!!! Miss ya.

LucindaF said...

My kids don't play with toys very often anymore. I drown in backpacks, soccer shoes, shin guards, tennis rackets, endless stacks of graded school work, wii controllers, socks, underwear in very odd places, jackets, did I mention shoes? Shoes are everywhere!

Maybe I should make a monster gunny sack and make them wear it to school until they learn to put their things AWAY!

Fife Family Forever said...

I didn't know you had a cute little blog. I love the Gunny Sack Monster, I should make one.