And here is "Safety Town," where they learned bicycle safety by riding trikes around "town."
Tuesday, July 01, 2008
Safety Town
For the past couple of weeks, Parker has attended a local Parks & Rec program called "Safety Town." It's a two-week long camp of sorts specifically designed for kids who are 4-5 years old, to teach them about different kinds of safety. He learned all about animal, water, bicycle, poison, school bus, fire, & tornado safety, stranger danger/bad touching, and calling 9-1-1. They also learned the pledge of allegiance & had recess each day - it was like mini-kindergarten! He loved it. Although I have to say, the "graduation" they held at the end rivaled my own high school graduation. Parents dressed up & flashing cameras everywhere. It was a little bit over the top.
Here he is with his favorite police officer and the director of Safety Town, Officer Galli.
With McGruff & Sparky, the Fire Dog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Love the pictures! I wish we had "safety town" around here--maybe they could have taught Ellie the importance of not wandering off :) (I also LOVE The Mana--It is one of Greg's very favorite bands and he would be very impressed)
Looks like lots of fun. Glad he enjoyed it.
Cool! This looks really fun and I can tell Parker had an awesome time! Love the mini safety town!
How fun for Parker, and what a good idea! A creative way to teach children at the perfect age about safety!
Did McGruff bring back any memories, Michelle? I thought he was just from our police department, but he must be nationwide!
oh my gosh! i can't wait for evan to go. i better start getting an outfit ready for the graduation ceremony :)
Oh how fun :)!!!!
What a great event!
McGruff rocks!
i have fond memories of mcgruff, but i don't think they had sparky when we were growing up did they? i can't remember...
What a cool class for kids! I bet Parker just had so much fun. And what a fun way to cement the important things you try to teach them as parents!
I, too, remember McGruff...did you guys have the TV commercials with him in it? I think there was even one with John Walsh. Smokey the Bear was also a safety character from back in the day, and Vanessa just met him this morning. I'm glad they keep those "traditions" alive!
Sounds/looks awesome! You always find the coolest stuff going on in any town you live in!
That's hilarious about the graduation! Maybe some of the parents were worried that this might be the only graduation their kids would ever make it to!
The little "town" looks so gosh darn cute!! What a neat program.
It is a little alarming at how people go over the top for "graduations" of all types huh?
What an incredible program to have! Great pictures, too!
When are you heading to UTAH?
This is one of my favorite things about Ohio! I love that it is two weeks, a good preparation for kindergarten and most of all that it is fun. Ethan LOVED Safety Town and begged to do it AGAIN this year because he still fit the age requirement. I told him you can't graduate twice! ;-) Nice try!! I love the picture of Parker with Sparky. Cute!
Post a Comment