Sunday, April 27, 2008

What Dreams May Come...

I had a great conversation the other day with my cousin about needs, wants & dreams. It seems that as soon as one dream comes true for me, I've got another, right there waiting to be fulfilled. It can be all consuming and I can definitely lose track of what is really important. My dear cousin, who has six children aged 8 months to 12 years, kindly reminded me that many times, it's the hope and anticipation of a dream that makes the stuff of life. Once acquired, the dream will often lose its luster. There is beauty & purpose to be found in wanting. That said, I am sharing a few of our dreams...those that are worth the wait.

Dream #1: To buy a house! This has been reason #1 for why I have been MIA in the blogosphere as of late. My screen time has been solely and obsessively dedicated to searching online. I've watched so many "virtual tours" of homes, that I dream about house-hunting and even woke up the other day with the theme music to the tours stuck in my head! It has been really fun to check out all of our options. I can also be found lately hiding away somewhere, devouring every helpful hint in our copy of "Home Buying for Dummies." After hours of research, however, I think that we will probably end up renting for the first year or so. It's a risky venture these days, and we are hoping to find a house that will suit us for at least the next 8 to 10 years. As a first-time home buyer, it's not something that I am ready to do in a three-day house hunt!

So before we can settle into something like this....

We'll have to stick it out in something like this for awhile!


In the which we will still be sublimely cozy & happy.

Dream #2: A weekend getaway with my man! This dream was SUPPOSED to be taking place in Florida next month, but since Skybus went under, we'll be trekking out to our future home to get a feel for the place and hopefully find a home we'd like to rent.

So, instead of this beach...


We'll be soaking it up on this beach...

In one way our dream will still come true, since we'll be vacationing without our kiddos!

Thanks, John & Debra!

Dream #3: To be a Wendy's taste tester! This, of course, is Peter's dream. For those who don't know, Wendy's headquarters is located here in Columbus. From the day we moved here he dreamt of being a taste tester for them. Well, his dream is about to come true! He just got the offer to do it and will be priming his taste buds for the feast of a lifetime in a few short days. I wish you all could have seen the look of excitement on his face when he got the news - it was priceless.

And instead of indulging in my miraculously tasty, everyday cooking ;)...


He'll get to eat this! Every man's dream!


Love you, honey! And keep dreaming, everyone!

20 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Hey, Michelle! Sorry that Florida didn't work out, but I'm so glad that you'll still get to have some time with your hubby without kids. That's a treat indeed. I really think there are lots of advantages to renting for a year before buying. You can get a real feel for the place and have some time to look before making the big decision. Both times we bought a house, I really felt the Lord helping and guiding us. He will definitely watch out for you guys. Hope Peter gets to enjoy his taste testing experience. Sounds like lots of fun.

Katie said...

Michelle, I love this post! Really love it! Such a good reminder for me too. And your pictures are hilarious! I hope your house hunting trip is super fun (not like mine for our wisconsin house--ask me about how much I cried!) and I hope Peter gets to tase something AMAZING at Wendy's!!

Mollie said...

My fave is Peter's dream...men are so fabulously simple! If only we were so easily satisfied!Unfortunately for us women, mine are always larger than life, like yours. Keep dreaming, sis....Someday!!!

Suzanne said...

K, I HAVE to find out how to become a wendy's taste tester.... that is one of my DH's dreams too.

Kristy said...

Great comparisons! I can't wait to see pics of your new home, which I'm sure will be lovely, and I'll also look forward to hearing more about the Wendy's taste testing adventures.

Camie said...

So much truth in this post--thanks for your thoughts. And don't forget the fulfillment of the dream of finishing school intact! YOU DID IT!! When I first met you guys--you were so little with just one little baby guy. Can you believe how much LIFE has happened and how much you have grown up in that time?? I'm doing a lot of looking back and looking forward right now myself...

By the way--I've started to exercise with your blog open on my computer--I love your music!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - That picture of the meals you cook look exactly like the masterpieces I prepare every night. We must've gone to the same culinary school. Ha, Ha.

You're so right about finding the joy in the journey, not the destination. And if anyone knows how to do that, you do. Seriously.

Greg said...

Michelle-I loved this post!!! Everything about it. It is amazing how much dreams and having something to hope for helps me "endure" everyday life. I also loved all of the pictures you chose. This is truly a classic blog post, and well worth the "dry spell" while you have been house hunting :)

andrewsrock said...

so the last picture of the cheeseburger kindof makes my stomach turn! I totally know how you feel about house hunting and stuff. I am on the computer ALOT trying to find a house, but I get to the point where they all look the same! I eventually get headaches and get all stressed about finding a home! and the hardest part is that I'm afraid that the internet only shows us what we want to see, not the real thing! but more than just house hunting, school hunting as well!!that's another story!!! good luck Michelle! I need to get your email!

Mom B. said...

I agree with the idea that sometimes dreams are just that, dreams! It makes life more enjoyable if we can dream about something, even if it never happens!

I never knew about Peter's dream. You'll have to fill us in on how his dream was fulfilled! Hope he has a good time and doesn't get hearburn!

Megan said...

Love the picture comparisons! Too funny! What a great post, I have always thought the same thing about dreams, but could never put it into words that good. I think if we didn't have dreams, we wouldn't have drive! So DREAM ON!

Jess said...

So I think everyone has put it quite well with the dreamin'. It definitely is a good reminder to let dreams be dreams sometimes. Then there are ones like homes that are nice to work towards.

We are going to be in a rental for a year too, so we are sure of what area we like best and hopefully find some land to build on. You probably will have a really nice time scoping out Richland area. I know I did when I visited PA/Sequim area. Florida would have been nice too!

The up side is that moving back to Washington is a dream come true! Good luck on your trip.

Lori said...

you're so funny, Michelle. Everything will work out one way or another. That's hilarious that Peter is going to taste test for Wendy's - is that for real? or were you joking?

Sariah said...

Ah, what a breath of fresh air your post was to me! Thank you! You are totally right on with the dreams baby and totally with your house hunt! Don't be hasty! I had to laugh though at your comparisons! The "not dream house" totally looks like Pedro's house on Napolean Dynamite! Ha!
I'm with Molly on men being fabulously simple! Can't wait to hear about Peters taste testing...a nice treat right upon graduation!!

Jennifer said...

when your the 15th person to comment what is left to say but DITTO!! Great post. Life is all about compromising.

christine said...

Loved this post and the picture comparisons! Can I just say the burger looks like its going to start crawling or something?

sherrie said...

yeah that burger is kinda scary. keep dreamin' you'll get the house and the trip soon!

enickel said...

You are young. You will have these dreams come true and so many more that you haven't even dreamt yet. I know this because you are a good person and good things happen to good people.

Rachel said...

What a fabulous post! This time of year, with school coming to a close, and spring sports picking up, life is hectic. I've had difficulty getting on the computer at all lately.

I love this post and your cousin had some wise words of advice. It's truly in the journey, isn't it? Good luck in all of your exciting endeavors. You'll be in the Tri-Cities during a very beautiful time of year! :)

Heidi said...

What a great post! I want to print it out and stick it on my fridge! Thanks for sharing!