Saturday, October 28, 2006

Ripe for the Picking

A couple of weeks ago our playgroup went to pick pecans at a nearby pecan farm...did I even know that pecan farms existed before moving here? No! But lucky for us, we are in Kansas, where there is a farm for everything!

It was a very chilly morning but the sun was out and it was a perfect fall day for heading out into the country. When we arrived, the farmer was there to greet us and towed us out to the trees by hayride. Of course, this was Parker's favorite part of the morning!


We got to cruise the orchard, pick out which tree we wanted, and watch the magic unfold as he used a special tractor to literally shake the tree! Some of the kids were freaked out, and Parker was a little cautious, but once he saw the nuts falling to the ground like green snow, he dug it and laughed his head off!



Then we got to go pick them up off the ground and gather them in Home Depot buckets (another bonus for Parker - his favorite store). They said they had a short crop this year due to lack of rain, but we still had more pecans than we could pick. Then the kids got to swing on rope swings, take a hayride to the river, and drink apple cider! What a fun morning!

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I wonder if that's Alyson V's friend, Joanna? Her dad has a pecan farm in Lawrence ...

Camie said...

I heart the pecan farm. In fact, I think I'll crack open a few of the TWELVE POUNDS of pecans I bought last year in honor of your fun trip!!

And it is Alyson's friend Joanna--Alyson set us up on the trip last year and we had a fantastic time!!

Anne Marie said...

Looks so fun. Wish we could have been there.

Lori said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I could've gone!

Sariah said...

I wasn't able to get the video to play for me, however, I loved your post! What a fun place! You get to keep the pecans that you pick? Awesome! I too would have loved the tractor part of the trip, Parker!

Heidi said...

Way to go, Michelle! You are always so good at taking advantage of cool things in your area. It seems you guys are always up to something fun.