Yesterday we took a day trip to the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City for the Plaza Art Fair. It has become an annual tradition for us since we've moved here and every year we love it. It is one of the top fine art fairs in the country and this year was their 75th anniversary!Peter and I like to brush shoulders with the totally eccentric people who are there to actually buy the artwork...you know who I'm talking about. As Peter describes them, "the classic retired rich guy with his linen shirt, buttoned down too far, tucked into white pants with loafers and his wife(?) on his arm, with hair-out-to-here, overly tanned, excessively bejeweled, and dressed to the nines. Oh and their tiny, yapping dog." We have just as much fun people watching as we do looking at the amazing artwork.
The artists at the fair represent a plethora of mediums; I love the photography best. My favorite artist from last year was not there this year, so that was a bit of a disappointment but a couple of new faves were discovered. It is really amazing to see what people come up with. There are some terribly talented individuals and others whose work you see and swear that your three-year-old could do a better job. I guess if over 1,450 artist submit their work and only 230 are chosen, then someone must really esteem it as art!

Although we would have had more time to browse and enjoy the time alone, Peter & I brought the kiddos and it proved to be fairly successful. Parker had a blast in the Wonderscope Kids' Zone, becoming a mini-Picasso by playing with kid-friendly art mediums.
We also sampled some good eats from Plaza restaurants who do their best at trying to price their regularly overly-priced food at concession stand prices for the event. There was good music, the weather was perfect, and although it wouldn't be our family if we didn't experience at least ONE major toddler meltdown, we really enjoyed the day!
11 comments:
Aaah, culture; something non-existent in Provo. That place looks like a lot of fun. I really like the "Landscapes" photo by M Ellen Cocose.
dang it the multiple blog thing is getting confusing...sorry had to delete a comment, what i was saying was looks like fun and love the photography find!
Looks like so much fun. I loved some of the artwork links. I'm very impressed that the kiddos haven't slowed you down too much.
Great fun! I love the Plaza.
Mateo -- culture does exist in Provo! You just have to look for it a little bit.
What a fun outing! I love that picture of Parker--definitely one that needs to be in the 'scrapbook pile'. Remember our outing with Tom/Kathy to the plaza at the time of the art fair! What an adventure!
Still more to miss about Kansas - something I didn't even know existed! Looks like a fabulous time! I love Peter's descriptions, and Parker's picture is fabulous!
I really enjoyed this post. Your links really made the post interesting and I felt like I was there with you. A little bright spot of culture in my chaotic week! Thanks! Glad y'all had a fabulous time! You just make Kansas look so fun...might have to check it one time!
So much fun! Parker looks so much like you in that pic!
Michelle, I heard there were nearly as many dogs as children at the fair, and huge ones, too! I'm glad you had fun. You sure get out to do fun things. I never would have thought of taking my boys, but what a super idea!
cute pics Michelle!
Post a Comment