...for help! This Wednesday I embark on a 3 week trip with my kiddos; only one of the weeks will be with my husband...eek!
This journey involves two long plane rides & a two-day road trip in between. So, I'm making a last minute call for your best tried and true traveling tips for 3-year-olds & 5-month-olds...I don't care who you are, just gimme the tips! Thanks a bunch!
14 comments:
yeah i don't have much experience with that one but off the top of my head i would say bring a portable dvd player for the road and say a prayer for serenity on the plane...good luck!
Here's what I pack:
entertainment: portable dvd player, variety of cd's that the kids can sing to, books on cd (library has a great collection), sticker books, color wonder markers + paper, large stash of snacks
plane ride: at least two exta onesies for the baby, gum + pacifier for cabin pressure
for your sanity: magazine that totally captivates your attention, beverage + chocolate bar of your choice. (I usually do Creating Keepsakes, Diet Dr. Pepper & a Milka candy bar.)
Here goes my list of traveling with my two girls to/from New York--we were stranded on the tarmac for three hours and I know that with new security they won't let you bring it, but we took bubbles, so if they happen to sell them past security it's a GREAT idea. Our carry-on also consisted of: an extra outfit (very handy since Ellie dumped her drink on Becca who was sleeping at the time) play-doh and a couple plastic cookie cutters, oversized stickers that I stuck onto felt(that way they stick onto the back of airplane seats and they can use them like an old fashioned flannel board) finger puppets, a couple new board books, treats, a few crayons and something to color, lacing toys, magnetic puzzles, and other small but NEW/NOVEL toys. We also took our laptop to watch movies--we would watch one short movie, then do one activity to break it up a little bit.I was also very grateful that I packed as many things on the plane as I did, because I didn't think about having toys when we got to the hotel, and they used them the entire trip.
Trust me, if we can travel with Ellie, you should be just fine :)
Looks like you already got some great tips. You'll do fine, I'm sure. I'd say a portable DVD player helps so much for trips. I'd suggest buying a few surprises (candy, stickers, whatever) for your backup support if it seems like they're going to lose it. Babies seems to sleep while traveling, so I bet Tyler will surprise you. Best of luck, friend. Most of all, don't worry about things. The security line in SLC's airport this weekend was no big deal at all; we waited an extra 10 or 15 minutes. Maybe some of the bigger airports might be worse. Have a great time.
Ditto to all the suggestions above. My most valued are the portable DVD player b.c they can watch that in the car or plane. A new movie to go with it. And we like to go to the $ store and stock up on new toys and games for cheap. B.c they are new, they last a few more hours than if it were just a favorite toy. Good luck my friend. Been there, done that,...all by myself with two kiddos,..and I survived. You will do great! Have fun!
I highly recommend that you take your bumbo if you can fit it (in your carry on! - I fit mine in a gym bag.) I took it with us when Ava was 5 months old to Baltimore and it saved our life. I popped her in it at the airport and fed her some cereal and everything. A couple of ladies were amazed to see such a little "chair". I'm sure it'd come in handy at your destination as well.
Those are lots of great suggestions. Don't forget the Benadryl. Or Dramamine. In case of emergency.
I second the extra clothes. Natalie had a blow out on the airplane, forgot a onesie, so she had to wear a diaper until our luggage came. I also went to the library and got a couple new board books for her. When we drove from Boston to New York, I put Natalie's carseat by the window. I found she really liked looking out the window and it helped keep her occupied. Best of luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Well, as long as you are taking advice from anyone....I definitely agree with the extra onesie idea...and maybe an extra shirt for you. On the way back from NY Ashley had a huge blowout on the plane that went through her entire outfit and also two layers of Jared's clothes. So, he ended up wearing my "I Love America" pajama shirt that was stuffed in my carryon early that morning. Ha! Also, I've heard from other mothers that for car trips, they had a little bag for each hour of the trip. There was something cool in each bag (like a treat and/or cheap toy). They said it worked great even for their kids that couldn't tell time. (I'm sure you can also make up your own times every now and then...no hard and fast rule.) Anyway, the only other thing I can say is good luck and you're awesome!
I don't think I can add much to the great ideas already given. If it helps for the car travel, we can swap people around, when we make stops, to sit back with Parker so he gets more than one kind of "entertainment"
As far as Tyler goes, He sounds like he's at least as mellow as Vanessa, so he should sleep most of the time. One thing I did with her was pump just before she would need to eat (we had a car adaptor for the electric pump), then feed her that in a bottle so we could make better time (I alternated between the pump method and straight-up breastfeeding).
sher - yes! peter just got me a portable dvd and i nearly cried for joy!
kelly - LOVE the ideas, especially the Milka one...mmmmm
heather - I am totally making those felt sticker thingies - awesome idea...
megan - ah yes, nyquil! i will actually probably need it once we get to the hotel to get myself to sleep with two kiddos in my same room!
anne - thanks for the tip about SLC - that is where we are headed, so I am glad to know it's functioning! did you have a good trip?
s-dogg - love the new movie idea - i just purchased "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" since we've been reading it to Parker!
lori - thank you for the bumbo endorsement - i was contemplating whether or not to bring it and your comment decided it for me!
kristy - okay, i am SO glad you mentioned dramamine b/c i didn't know kids could take it, and Parker always gets carsick these days! i just made the trip to hy-vee to get it!
sarah - thank goodness i will have tyler by the window for the drive! and i will be sure to bring the extra onesies - thanks!!
heidi - love the new bag trick - peter just told me about that one last night and we are going to try it...i'll let you know how it goes!
lisa - thanks for the offer to trade! we'll see how desperate i get...i would definitely welcome sitting by sweet vanessa anytime!
you ladies rock! thank you, thank you!
Holy ideas! You may have already left... but I love to wrap up little cheap toys so the kids have fun unwrapping. You can even have them singing happy birthday and practice blowing out candles (which helps with the air pressure on the airplane). Happy travels!
Don't know if you caught this one a while back Michelle--here's a bunch o' tips from the "tales from the crib" girls--
http://talesfromthecrib.blogspot.com/2006/06/going-on-adventure.html
I don't know how to make it a link, but try to cut and paste it in the browser--great ideas.
Have a fun trip!!!
I forgot to add that I love your Flickr photos! There are some really great shots there.
Post a Comment