Sunday, January 24, 2010

Getting Out of Dodge

We love living in the Tri-Cities. It's dry, sunny, safe. It can just get boring in the winter.
We've been spoiled by the family-fun offerings of Columbus & Kansas City. Luckily, we live close enough to civilization that we can escape.
We had a great weekend visiting my family. It began Saturday with a trip to this fine establishment:


to get these fine dressers for the boys:



that I have been dreaming about for a good long while.


On Sunday we celebrated Great-Grandpa Brown's 76th...

...as Great-Grandma gave Parker a mini-class on playing the organ that has been in our family for generations.

There was plenty of rough-housing with Grandpa...he took a good, long nap after playing horsey for two wild boys...

And pancake-making with Grandma (where's the pic of this?)


Then on Monday we headed back home, but not before stopping at Snoqualmie Pass for a little tubing fun...


I was psyched to go until I saw the hill. Yikes. But when Parker was gung-ho, I knew I had to be. And, of course, it turned out to be the most fun we've had in forever. I don't know how I managed to escape taking a shot of the 12-lane Highway Hill of Tubing Bliss. Maybe it was because I was I was too busy scrambling out of the way of other crazy tubers sailing toward me at 40 mph (a thrill, indeed). But, this is a shot of us on the peaceful rope tow.


T-bone was done with the thrill after an hour and opted to defrost in the lodge with hot cocoa and a brownie.

It was a gorgeous sunny day and a yearly tradition is born! Anyone wanna join us next year?

4 comments:

NACJMAC said...

Yeah! Such fun pictures and update on your fun weekend! Looks like such a great adventure- we definently want to do that with you guys next year.

Anne Marie said...

That looks like some serious fun. Those mountains are gorgeous. I love Ikea. There's not one close here, but I grew up near one, and it is seriously cool.

Mom B. said...

Thanks for coming over and sharing the boys with us for the weekend! We had so much fun with you guys, and I'm glad you were able to get to the snow on Monday!

Love Tyler's brownie picture...he looks like he was caught in the act!

Sariah said...

Tubing is just about the only thing I love about the cold snow! lol So fun! And you know I love IKEA!