Thursday, June 26, 2008

10 Reasons Why I Won't Miss Tornado Country


1. Being awoken in the middle of the night due to tumultuous thunder, lightning, and tornado sirens.

2. My kids being awoken in the middle of the night due to tumultuous thunder, lightning, and tornado sirens.

3. Comforting said screaming, crying kids.

4. All while the power goes out, accentuating the strobe effect of aforementioned INSANE lightning, increasing child angst.

5. Dragging tired, confused kids down two flights of stairs in the middle of the night to the basement.

6. Looking for a flashlight in the middle of the night.

7. Finding flashlight, now trudging back up stairs (did I mention this was in the middle of the night?) to find radio.

8. Sitting in the basement, for almost an hour, in the middle of the night.

9. Having the tornado warning finally revoked, but still hearing the tumultuous thunder, lightning, and tornado sirens so the kids won't go back to sleep. Thus, it turns into a party in your bed.

10. Having your power still be off in the morning, the post-storm BEASTLY humidity, your basement flooding, your kids are cranky, you are cranky.


Bring on the desert.

16 comments:

TheJames said...

Oh, I am so with you on this one!

Emily said...

I couldn't have said it better.

Anne Marie said...

Hilarious, friend! I totally agree...I don't miss the tornadoes at all.

Sariah said...

I LOVE the picture you posted! It's great! And I'm with ya on that one, only we don't have basements in Texas. Too much clay for dirt! So when do y'all move?

Deb said...

And I want to know why does this always happen in the middle of the night. In the 4 years we have lived here not once have I needed to take shelter during the day.

Deb said...

p.s. I'm glad you are okay!

donna said...

We don't have tornados in Washington..

But i do miss the summer storms . We lived in Oklahoma for 4 years. wow we had some crazy tornados..

Rachel said...

Dang, that's the stuff we miss the most!!! :)

Katie said...

Oooh, haven't really gone to the basement yet. Maybe I'd just leave the kids in bed...

just kidding!

Anne Marie said...

I am thinking about my comment now. I hope you know that I don't think it's hilarious to be threatened by tornadoes and bad weather. I was commenting on the way you wrote about it, which was very funny. I am sorry you've lived in two places now where tornadoes are not uncommon.

Mom B. said...

I bet you'll be glad to get back here to the good ol' Pacific Northwest! We have some crazy weather, but nothing like the Midwest!

No wonder Parker is worried about the wind, I would be too!

Heidi said...

I know this feeling all too well...I felt it recently...last night to be exact. And yes, it always seems to happen between midnight and 4am. Why is that? But besides all the crazy weather, you've gotta admit...the Midwest is a great place to live!

Kristy said...

I hear you! I always had nightmares during tornado season. I do miss the raging thunderstorms, though.

lisa h. said...

oh no, your power went out? that stinks, i'm sorry. it was a long storm huh, i hope that was it for a while!

Jennifer said...

When we first moved to Kansas Zach waw in kindergarten and he would CRAWL home from Prairie Park elementary if there was the slightest wind :)

I do miss a good summer storm. But not the kids up and trying to find the gosh darn flashlight:)

Megan said...

Ya, why in the crap are the storms always in the middle of the night? Enjoy the desert, and know I am envious!