While browsing a favorite blog the other day, I came across this idea for a December advent. I wanted to try it out myself before I posted it, and it has truly become the highlight of our days!The way I've chosen to go about it this year is to take some of the Christmas books that we already own (and are only brought out at Christmas time), and to them add many of the books found on the suggestions in the original post. My favorite Christmas tale is pictured at the right. I checked most of the books out from the library to see if I like them first and then will buy a favorite or two to add to our collection every year. Then I spaced them out so that we alternate between secular and Christ-centered ones. Lastly, I've wrapped each one and numbered them, 1-24.
Each night, right before we say prayers, I let Parker open our designated book and we read together as a family. The fun part is that I've already forgotten which ones are which, so it's a surprise for me, too! I love how it creates anticipation throughout the day, and instead of feeling tired and grumpy at night (ready to have the kids in bed), the day ends on a great note. Hey...maybe I'll do this all year long!
7 comments:
AWESOME idea! We always put our Christmas books under the tree but the idea of doing it advent like is great. Off to go find some wrapping paper...
Fabulous idea, Michelle! That's just what we could use around here. Thanks for sharing!
It's been fun for us too. I didn't number them though but we have had a good mix of both each night. One we read the other night was called "a creature was stirring One Boy's Night Before Christmas". Mary really liked looking at what the cute, mischievous little boy was doing while the poem the night before Christmas was being read.
The book you posted on here is my favorite Christmas book of all--I love it!!
What a great idea, Michelle! I love this. Way to create a fun family tradition.
We love this idea--but we didnt wrap them this year because I knew they wouldnt stay wrapped with my adventurous little ones. A couple of my favorites are Snowmen at night & Snowmen at Christmas. They have hidden pictures (there is even a tiny SLC temple in one) and are quite creative.
What a great idea. I think we will start that tradition next year for our family.
Post a Comment