Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Visit from "Porteeva"

On a very dreary day about a month ago, I got a call from my close friend of 17 years, Brytteva (Parker's best attempt was "Porteeva"). She said she woke up that morning with an epiphany that she needed to come out and see me. Okay, epiphany, but I say revelation! It was just what I needed - a timely visit from the person who always seems to know when I need her the most, across so many miles & years of friendship. I was so excited to have her come out from Seattle and stay with me this last week.

Every time we get together, it's the same. Lots of laughing fits, eating waaaay too much, shopping (of course!), a little gossip for good measure, reminiscing and lifting one another up in the ways we need it. The only difference now is that I have kids to add to the mix! It was an adventure trekking out to Independence & Liberty Jail with them on Monday. I told Brytteva that hanging out with Parker was a great form of birth control! However, she played a great "auntie" to him by reading him books and giving him piggy-back rides. We made stove s'mores, got pedicures, watched my new all-time fave "Love Actually"(edited - thanks CleanFlicks!) and even threw a baby shower together for another friend of mine.

I know I'm lucky to have kept in touch with friends from my childhood - and even luckier when I get them to come see me in Kansas! Thanks for the laughs - love you, girl!

8 comments:

sherrie said...

sounds like you guys had a good time - she was just telling me about her trip to kansas! glad you posted to give more deets. i can't tell if that's an old pic or recent...

sherrie said...

on second thought that's gotta be old, your hair isn't curly anymore is it?

Michelle said...

oh yes, let me clarify that this pic was taken our senior year of high school...heaven forbid that i would still be wearing my eye liner that thick!!

Sariah said...

Ahhh, what a breath of fresh air when close friends come for a visit! Sounds like y'all had a fun time and what a blast from the past (pic)! Not that I knew you in HS,...but, the style non the less is a fun blast! ;)

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! sherrie, you actually thought that was a recent picture?? that's hilarious! i only wish my hair was that thick now..michelle, that picture rocks!! I HAD A GREAT TIME BY THE WAY! Thank you so much for taking me to Independence and Liberty Jail! Sometimes we really don't think about or take for granted the fact that we are still actually indeed close friends until "people" seem to think it's strange that we still keep in touch after all of these years...I'm SO thankful for your friendship chica!! love you!

Anne Marie said...

Love the pic, Michelle! She sounds like a great friend. You are so lucky that she got to come see you. Sounds like some great girlfriend time.

mateo said...

Dude, that picture reminds me of the time that chi-mo guy came up to you at the grocery store and wanted to touch your "beautiful hair". On that note, I'm glad you had fun hanging out.

Anonymous said...

What a fun visit! I never thought it was possible for people to actually visit Kansas--that shows the true depths of your friendship!