'Twas the month after Christmas,
and all through the house,
Nothing would fit me,
not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled,
the chocolate I had to taste
At the holiday parties
had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales
there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store
(less a walk than a lumber),
I remembered the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The punch and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt...
I said to myself, as I only can,
"You can't spend a winter, disguised as a man!"
So, away with the last of the sour cream dip.
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
'Til all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie, not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie.
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all, and to all a good diet.
and all through the house,
Nothing would fit me,
not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled,
the chocolate I had to taste
At the holiday parties
had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales
there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store
(less a walk than a lumber),
I remembered the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The punch and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt...
I said to myself, as I only can,
"You can't spend a winter, disguised as a man!"
So, away with the last of the sour cream dip.
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
'Til all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie, not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie.
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all, and to all a good diet.
- author unknown
22 comments:
That is hilarious, did you write that? I wouldn't put it past you, you brilliant gal.
--To bad the author is unknown cause this poem is brilliant.
Check out Oprah's thing she did on the 5th---its about weight loss (re-caps on her site). She talks about the only real way to weight loss is LOVE, namely loving yourself, making time every day for YOU. She also encourages you to ask yourself---what is it that you are REALLY hungry for?
Maybe try a week of detoxing? James and I did it this week and we feel right as rain. I've got meal plans on my blog under my post 'detox'.
I know how you feel though---I've gained some holiday weight this season. Everyone has this problem. The thing is to forgive yourself and just get back on the ole train again. :)
Love it, Love it, Love it. I hope this time this goal I make every year actually becomes a reality, and that by next Christmas I can afford to eat this way again.
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I have been so blessed with wonderful friends!!!
love it! sad, that it is true.
Michelley-I too feel the same and I love the poem...it just is so much harder, older and with kids, isn't it? My plan is to lose 6-8 lbs before getting pregnant again...just to be at a healthier weight. I need to lose more than that, but for now, I'll be content with that. I hope all goes well with you! I think it needs to be about being healthier...making choices to exercise and eating better foods and hopefully, the weight will come off!
SO TRUE! I ate my way through Nov/Dec, but had a great time! I was so good working out regularly and then December hit. My pants are all a bit too tight.
Oh, friend, this poem is brilliant. Thanks for sharing. I am really hoping that 2009 can be my year to finally rid myself of all the pounds that have crept on.
GREAT poem! I wrote it. JK!
Hittin' the gym tomorrow with Deb, we'll see how that goes!
Take care!
Oh I know. It's ALMOST enough to make me wish I were pregnant just so I had an excuse. Almost....
My thoughts exactly!! Back to the dusty eliptical!! Hope all is well for you and the boys- tell everyone HI from all of us.
By the way, Sarah asked me several times today if we were going to move close to Parker yet. She misses him!
amen.
LOL!! Amen sister!!! Now I am wishing I had done better all of December...I am totally going to post this next winter because I know it'll happen to me all over again! ;-) Thanks for a good laugh!
This is so me this winter...well, um every winter, that is. Very cute poem. I was doing so well for a while, but I know it's time to recommit. Too many yummy food...like the butterscotch chips I'm munching on right now...
Isn't is amazing how many of us relate? Oh how I love January :)
Isn't is amazing how many of us relate? Oh how I love January :)
Yep.
Hi Michelle,
Your family has grown since I last saw you and Parker was just a baby. I just wanted to say Hi and that I like your blog. You can follow the link in my profile to get to my blog if you like.
Take Care,
Cherie
Sweetie! We hear ya! LOUD and CLEAR! And even after the holidays, with more family visits and birthdays and depression, the carbs are piling in my mouth! I get little sympathy because maybe my numbers are a little different on the scale, but let me tell you: no matter how big or little a woman may be, when you have that out of control face stuffing thing going on, it's a very unpleasant feeling! Hugs, my beautiful sister! Peace out! Tomorrow is a new, glorious day!
Miss ya blogging! Just thought I'd let you know.
You want to know MY reality? Disappointment every time I come to your blog and this post is still here! WHERE ARE YOU??????
Hey Michelle!
What's going on with you guys? Hope life is treating you well!
Oh where oh where has my blogging bud gone or where or where can she be??? Hope Tri-cities is being kind! I'll be in town the week of the 14th! Let's do lunch...seriously! I'll e-mail you soon!
Post a Comment