
I have always been drawn to Impressionism, so it was no surprise that my favorite pieces were these two. Renoir has always been my favorite artist, but I especially loved the softness of the Portrait of Paul Haviland. It reminded me of the surprising sensitivity that little boys will show in the moments where it is most often needed. The second piece is entitled Boulevard des Capucines by Monet. I think I loved this one because it looks like a scene I would want to jump into.
Peter liked this piece called The Eruption of Vesuvius by Sebastian Pether. He loved the contrast of the calm, blue moon on the water against the raging, red volcano, and how it really illustrates how those people, in their tranquility, were taken by such surprise with the eruption. It really was done with fantastic detail that you could only truly appreciate with seeing it up close, but what a fascinating story that painting tells! He also enjoyed their exhibit on the works of Henry Moore.
We had dinner inside the museum's restaurant, which was absolutely stunning and very romantic. It was a night to remember!
11 comments:
What a dreamy night!! I was so relieved to see you didn't spend your big night out watching the movie "night at the museum" although everyone says it's funny! I think your night at the museum sounds much better!
Michelle--I absolutely ADORE art and love Renoir and Monet amongst many many others. I've been very blessed to see a lot of art here since living in Europe and can't get enough of it. (Thank goodness most of the galleries are free here in London!) I think its cool that Peter surprised you with a trip to a gallery. What a great surprise!
Just curious what some of your favorite Renoir pics are? When you were in Europe did you ever have a chance to go to the Musee D'orsay in Paris? It's got a killer Renoir section!
Delightful date night! That really is a wonderful museum.
Wow...adult conversation - how nice. :)
That sounds fantastic. So glad you got out to do something so fun.
Aawww! Whatta guy! Hats off to Peter for being a planner! When they go to the work of thinking ahead and actually planning something....well, let's just say that around here I gotta call the devil and tell him his place will be freezin over. ;) Rare. Glad you had a fun, REAL date!
Oh, wow!! What a fun date night! Way to go Peter! I would have really like to see that Museum! I'm pretty much the sole planner when it comes to date nights...so props to Peter! Glad you had a great night out sans children! And Happy Valentines!!
don't you love it when the museums have no entrance fee. that was a life saver for me in college. looks like a very culturally rich evening. oh and the movie is great too - have you seen it yet? ;)
After seeing those pictures I think Jon and I will definitely have to go.
Those paintings are awesome. I especially like the volcano one. I'm glad to hear you guys are finally getting time to hang out!
Sounds great! Babysitters are lifesavers, or marriage savers anyways! Enjoy many more date nights to come.
Post a Comment